The region around the town of Storojineț in the upper Siret valley was been documented since the 15th century within the Principality of Moldavia. In 1775 the Austrian Hapsburg Empire annexed the northern part of Moldavia calling the region “Bukowina”, after which in 1918 the region was returned to Moldavia, only to be annexed again by the USSR in 1940. Although this historic area extended north to the Ceremuș River, following Ukrainian immigration in recent times the only area now predominantly Romanian is the upper Siret valley around the town of Storojineț.
- Dimitrie Gusti, Constantin Orghidan, Mircea Vulcănescu, Virgiliu Leonte (1938-1943). 1938 map of interwar county Storojinet. București: Imprimeria Națională.